The app and its files should not disappear until they will be deleted manually. It may also happen if a system update was installed or a phone was restored from a backup (Android). On Android-devices files can also disappear if the app was installed to a SD card or due to work of cleaning apps like Clean Master.
If your bookmarks or maps disappeared:
- You might have accidentally made them invisible. Open Bookmarks Menu. The eye icon next to the set name indicates its visibility. Tap it to make the whole set invisible on the map (but not in the Bookmarks menu).
- Please check if the bookmarks (.kmb files*) are still stored on your device. Please try to search for the files in your device file system. To do it:
On Android: you need either to connect your device to PC like a disc (file storage) and search from PC, or install any file manager from the Google Play Store, for example, Total Commander.
On iOS, you can access all files with iTunes: connect your device to a computer → open iTunes → select your device → File Sharing → select maps.me → check all .kmb files (for example, My places.kmb) in maps.me Documents section → bookmarks subfolder.
Also, in iOS bookmarks are saved automatically with a system backup. You can restore them via iCloud backup or iTunes backup.
* if you have MAPS.ME version 8.x and earlier, check for .kml files.
To avoid deletion of bookmarks/maps
Before you uninstall and reinstall the app or do system update/reset to factory settings you can backup your bookmarks.
You can also backup your maps by copying them from MapsWithMe folder.
In addition, if you use an Android device:
- Please check if you have any cleaner apps installed on your device, for example Clean Master. Please note that some devices have system apps for cleaning files (for example, Huawei devices). You can add MAPS.ME and its files to the exception list when to prevent deletion of its files (please check how to do this in the instruction manual for your device).
- If you’ve installed or moved the app itself on SD card, please move it back to the internal memory of your device. You can move downloaded maps to SD card directly via the app settings.
If you store the downloaded maps on SD card and they disappear, the most likely cause is a faulty SD card. You can format your SD card, or better yet replace it with a new one.